« What I Have Been Reading this Weekend | Main | The Rise of New Technologies »

07/26/2022

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I really enjoyed this article, thank you for sharing. The the article indicates a huge percentage of methane release is coming from landfills in India, and the writer further outlines what India is, or is not, doing to combat the pollution. This reminded me about the conversation from class this past weekend where we discussed how developing countries are expected to fight global warming and in doing so, have to give up more relative to developed countries. Since a lot of the US and Europe's generations of trash has ended up in Southeast Asia, perhaps these countries should be held partially responsible for a safe removal process, or help developing proper waste streams, and safe landfills.

From a food waste perspective, I personally feel that there is a lot of opportunity in diverting this food waste to help combat food insecurity. In the US, 1 in 8 Americans identify as food insecure yet as a nation we waste about 35% of all food produced. This wasted food, besides producing methane in a landfill, also means wasted water, capital, energy, and all the other resources that went into producing this food. Excited to dive into the environmental module coming up to learn more!

This was a very fascinating article. I wanted to share another article on toxic air quality in Delhi following the big festival of Diwali which mentions the extreme pollution can short the lives of Indians by 9 years (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-59172888).

Back in 2016 I was able to celebrate Diwali in India for the first time. While it was an incredible experience to be surrounded by fireworks and even get to light them myself, I'll never forget how shocked I was to wake up the next day to such horrible air quality and pollution. It was quite jarring. Over the following years I noticed more news coverage on initiatives to cut back on firecrackers including the supreme court banning them. It's incredible that even though people experience the awful pollution firsthand for days after the celebrations, many still refuse to change their ways.

The comments to this entry are closed.