« Will Extracting Crab Meat in Ecuador also Extract a Price Premium? UCLA Anderson MBAs Propose a Sustainable Solution | Main | How UCLA Anderson Alumnus Clayton Frech’s Highly “Adaptive” Angel City Sports Took Wing »

04/21/2017

Comments

patrick kariuki

my problem is with disposals of this batteries in future mass toxic

Emilio

I do trust all the ideas you've introduced in your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for novices. May you please extend them a little from next time?In any case the writting helped with my site! Thanks for the post and keep it up!

Douglas Bernard

One problem is Batteries are DC voltage while most of our home appliances are AC voltage. What that normally means is some kind of inverter will be needed to convert that DC to AC for use in the home. Of course, that will constitute an energy loss. Also, batteries are a huge expense and very involved to maintain. Wet cells are what they would probably lean toward rather than a car battery (sealed valve regulated) because they last so much longer but they are also extremely expensive to replace and they will eventually need to be replaced; all batteries will. Also batteries are a hazardous waste and since we are trying to protect the environment that presents a serious problem. We don't want to be trading one environmental problem for another.

Rodney

Great article, Maggie. Too often clean energy advocates completely ignore the storage problem. Storage IS the problem. We have solar panels, but I need the energy grid to "store" my excess energy during the day and give it back to me during the evening and night.

I know everyone thinks the future looks like batteries, but so far they seem like a sledgehammer to drive in a nail. They are big, inefficient, and often toxic.

It's great to see smart people focusing on the problem.

The comments to this entry are closed.